Me

Me

Tuesday 15 November 2011

Sloppy Joes and Cupcakes!!

Brrrrr today has been berluddy freezing!!! Doesn't help that I haven't got a winter coat yet.....think my eBay selling profits will have to go towards a new one! So I fancied a few hours in the kitchen to warm our cockles!
In the end I made a few vanilla cupcakes and practised my buttercream roses....difficult but a few more days practice and I reckon i'll get them exactly how I want! Here are today's creations:









After baking I wanted something hearty, yummy and cockle-warming to take the chill out of our bones for tea! I had some mince in the freezer and was going to make a Spaghetti Bolognaise but I fancied something different so I decided to make a kind of 'Sloppy Joe' (American dish)



Sloppy Joe bake 
(Adapted from BBC good food)

500g Lean Beef Mince
One carrot grated
One onion finely chopped
One celery stick finely diced
1 tin of tomatoes
1 beef stock cube
1 garlic clove crushed
1/2tsp cumin
1/2tsp coriander
1 tsp chilli powder
4 tbsp's BBQ sauce
1tbsp tomato sauce
1 tin of kidney beans
Method:
- Preheat oven to 200degrees. Fry Onion, Garlic, Carrot, Celery until soft, then add the beef mince and cook until brown all over.
- add cumin, coriander and chilli powder and stir then crumble in the stock cube.
- add tinned tomatoes, bbq sauce and kidney beans. Simmer for 5 minutes
- add mince mixture to ovenproof dish and top with slices of garlic bread, then bake for 10minutes until garlic bread is golden brown.

Traditionally the Mince mixture is served in white baps and topped with coleslaw and grated cheddar.
I have had both and I must admit the garlic bread/mince mixture was a winner for me. It was so delicious and even my picky daughter asked for seconds!
The leftover mince will be fab on Jacket Potatoes tomorrow for lunch. I think this recipe will feature a few times during this winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment