Me

Me

Monday 21 November 2011

Do it your'shelf'!!


I am a huge fan of Ikea.....I could spend hours wandering around aimlessly buying yet more candles and  kitchenware, but my absolute favourite part; is going to the Cafe on site and ordering Swedish Meatballs with gravy and lingonberry sauce.
So tonight I am making my very own thrifty version of that Ikea classic.
When I say 'thrifty version'....I mean its technically cheaper than me going to Ikea spending money on homewares and then buying meatballs. The cost of this dish would actually work out the same price as a pack of meatballs from the freezer section!! ;)

Ingredients:

Meatballs:
250g extra lean beef mince
250g lean pork mince
one onion grated
One egg beaten
Couple of slices of stale white bread turned into breadcrumbs
one tsp ground allspice
1/2tsp ground nutmeg
Fresh herbs...dill parsley and chives roughly chopped...I very rarely have fresh herbs though so I just use dried parsley!

Swedish Gravy:
1tbsp lemon juice
300ml beef stock (I try to use the low salt ones when I can find them!)
1tbsp plain flour
60ml double cream (I don't use double cream as too fatty so use semi-skimmed milk instead...not as creamy but still pretty nice!)
1dessertspoon of redcurrant or cranberry sauce
Splash of worcestershire sauce


Method:
- Mix all meatball ingredients together in a bowl and then roll into a sausage shape
- cut into equal size pieces and with wet hands shape into small balls
- put onto plate and then put into fridge to firm up for a bit, 1/2hour-1hour should do it!
- You're supposed to fry these off but I prefer to oven bake mine to keep it as healthy as possible! I cook them in a 180degree oven for around 20mins...they don't need long due to size
- just before they are ready spoon out a small amount of the fat from the roasting tin from the meatballs and add to sauce pan with the lemon juice
- add the flour and stir to make a roux, heat on a low heat.
- then add the beef stock, cream, redcurrant/cranberry sauce, and worcestershire sauce and bring to the boil. Once its reached boiling point reduce heat to a simmer and reduce until the sauce thickens,usually 5 odd mins.
- to serve I always serve with either Mash or homemade chips made in the actifry and green veg. You can add the meatballs to the saucepan and stir to coat them all and then just serve up.

No comments:

Post a Comment