Me

Me

Thursday 17 November 2011

Old Mother Hubbard went to the cupboard.........

My freezer is almost empty. My cupboards are almost bare.....its time to go shopping tomorrow methinks!!
So tonight I had what I call a 'potluck' dinner.
I had leeks and potatoes....but didn't fancy leek and potato soup.
I had frozen white fish with parsley sauce.....but didn't fancy that either.
I had sausages! Mmmm sausages I could eat....I had potatoes......so I could do mash. But I fancied something a bit different. So made this concoction below. And lovely it was too!!

Sausages with leek mash and balsamic onion gravy




Ingredients:

Sausages
One red onion sliced into rings
2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
1tsp sugar
1dsp dijon mustard
1 veg or chicken stock cube dissolved in 250ml water
cornflour to thicken
Potatoes
One leek sliced
Butter and milk for the mash


Method:
- peel the potatoes and cube and boil for 15 minutes until soft
- in the meantime grill the sausages or pop in the oven until cooked
- put some oil in a pan and add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes until beginning to go soft.
- add balsamic vinegar, mustard and sugar and cook for another 5, until it starts to look sticky and gooey and caramel goodness!
- at this point add the stock and cornflour and simmer for a few mins until it thickens.
- In a separate pan sweat the leeks until soft, whilst this is happening mash your potatoes with butter and milk and a handful of grated cheddar if you like cheesy mash!
- add the leeks to the mash, leaving a tbsp of the leeks behind to cook for a few more minutes until they're crispy.
- Dollop mash in the middle of your plate, tower up those sausages, drizzle over your onion gravy and sprinkle the crispy leeks....et voila! Yummy Yums!

No comments:

Post a Comment