Me

Me

Tuesday 22 November 2011

Cluckynut Cornflakes!!






I was going through my storecupboard inventory to see what I had lurking before I do a big shop; and I realised that a half packet of cornflakes was feeling very sorry for itself at the back of the cupboard. Still within its use by date and seemingly losing that essential 'crunch' I thought I should throw it away.
But then I remembered I had chicken and thinking back to a recipe I saw a while ago I thought i'd make Cornflake Chicken.
The recipe I had seen was a bog standard, dunk in flour, egg and cornflakes but I wanted more flavour than that.
I decided to marinate the chicken in Buttermilk. Buttermilk tenderises the meat so beautifully and leaves the chicken gorgeously moist..........I had no Buttermilk in BUT its so easy to make! You just add one tablespoon of vinegar to 240mls of Milk. Leave to stand for 5 mins and voila! You have Buttermilk. It may curdle slightly but this is normal!!
I also decided to serve this with rice as I had potatoes last night. I also wanted a sauce so I made up an apricot one which was simply yummy! It would also go really well with a hot sticky sauce or a bbq sauce. Improvise! Tis the best part of cooking! The result is a heavenly mix of moist chicken, crunchy shell and sweet and sour sauce. Ok...so without further ado here is my recipe:

Buttermilk Chicken in a Coconut Cornflake Shell.

Ingredients:
For the chicken -
Chicken Breasts (If you want to be thriftier use thighs or drumsticks)
A good few tbsps of crushed cornflakes
A good few tbsps of dessicated coconut
1tsp Garlic powder
1tsp Paprika

240ml Buttermilk

For the Sauce -
3tbsps of apricot jam
1tbsp vinegar
1tbsp soy sauce
splash of white wine

Method:
- Put the Buttermilk in a bowl or ziplock style freezer bag along with the garlic powder and paprika. Add your chicken, shake/stir to coat and refrigerate for a minimum of 30mins, maximum of 3hours.
- Once marinated preheat oven to 180degrees. On a plate mix together the dessicated coconut and crushed cornflakes.
- Take out a piece of chicken at a time, shake off excess liquid and then roll in the crispy mixture. Make sure its evenly coated and then shake off any excess.
- arrange on a non-stick baking tray. Put into oven for 20-25mins until chicken is cooked through and cornflake mixture is golden brown.
- Make your rice during this time.
- To make the sauce add all ingredients to a pan and simmer gently to combined, the sugar in the apricot jam will start to caramelise and you'll have a wonderful sticky sweet/sour sauce! Make this last minute and just spoon over your rice and chicken.



Nb.
You could marinate the chicken in lime instead of buttermilk as lime and coconut complement each other  fantastically.

No comments:

Post a Comment