Me

Me

Friday 27 January 2012

Slow cooked brisket and butter me up beans!

Its freezing, the temperature has dropped sooooo much, also factoring in two hard workouts means only one thing. Comfort food. In my mouth. Yes please.
I had quite a few food-gasms yesterday. In ASDA....of all places! ASDA is what I like to call a necessary evil. I'm broke at the moment so didn't want to spend more than £20 on the weeks shop....including toiletries which I'd run out of! (I am not willing to have greasy hair....no matter how thrifty I like to be!! ;p). But imagine my surprise when ASDA decided to answer all my prayers and reduced practically everything!
If you ever want lots of deals pop along to supermarkets around 5pm, 7pm and 9pm and you'll find lots of reductions. However when I went at 3:00pm they had crates upon crates of reduced meat at the front of the store. I have such a stocked freezer now I won't need to buy meat for a month! For less than £15 I got around £60+ worth of meat. I got Brisket joints; Lamb shanks, Lamb Burgers, Turkey breast fillets with Jalapeno cheese topping, Pork joints, 1kg pack of mince, Minted Lamb steaks, Sirloin steaks, Casserole Beef etc etc Just take my word for it, my freezer is freaking stocked to the max. Love it. Plus it'll certainly help with the thriftyness this month!
Ok so first recipe from my lovely stockpile was slowcooked rolled brisket. I served it with a butterbean mash as I fancied something different. It was absolutely delicious and I can use the leftovers to make a pie. I'll strain the veg out of the leftover gravy and add it to the meat and then top with Carrot and Swede Mash or potato slices depending on how I feel. I'll then pour over the leftover gravy when its ready. Heaven.
So here we go:

Slow Cooked Rolled Brisket of Beef served with Mashed Garlic and Rosemary Butterbeans


Ingredients:
Beef Brisket
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 x glass of red wine (More if you want it boozy)
2 tsps mixed herbs
1 x bayleaf
2 dessertspoons worcestershire sauce
2 Beef stock cubes
A sprinkling of thickener or cornflour OR if you want to cheat like I do pop in a few tsps of Gravy Granules!
For the butterbean mash:
A can of butterbeans
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 garlic clove crushed
2 tsps dried rosemary 

Method:
- Ideally Beef brisket should be slow cooked for 8-9 hours on Low setting in your slow cooker. 
- Pop all of the ingredients (except the butterbean mash ingredients) into your slow cooker. Add around 1/2 a pint of boiling water and stir to ensure the beef stock cubes have dissolved. Pop the lid back on, whack on low and leave for 8-9 hours.
- When you come home from work, or Uni or wherever you have been your home will be filled with the beautiful smells of dinner. Inviting you in and warming your soul knowing that dinner is less than 10 minutes away!
- When you're ready to eat put the butterbeans including their water into a saucepan and heat gently for 3-4 minutes. Drain.
- Pop back on the heat and add the olive oil, garlic and rosemary. Then mash until you have a smooth consistency. Add more olive oil if you think the mixture looks too dry, or some nice salted butter instead.
- Take your beef brisket out, try and carve it.....its so succulent it literally falls apart so you're left with beautiful chunks of mouthwateringly tender meat. Serve up with some of the gravy and the veg and your butterbean mash and devour. Easy. Simple. Tasty. Perfick. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment