Me

Me

Wednesday 18 January 2012

Go on....bung in some mushrooms! They're such fun-guys! ;)

Firstly apologies about the title. It sucks. I know. But i'm tired and Funghi related puns are all I could muster!
Secondly I am brassic. More brassic than a brass thing on brass day. (For Non Brits this simply means I am broke, bank account is drier than the sahara, diddly squat, zilch etc etc). So this coming week I am going to have to be a lot more thrifty than I have been in a while!
So everybody, purse strings are tightened.....thrifty hat is on and i'm ready to go! Are you sitting comfortably? Then I shall begin!
I went to my cupboard umming and ahhing and pondering like a great big ponderer about what to cook tonight with minimal fuss and at the same time being oh so satisfying......hidden behind some Smart Price Beans and half a pack of cornflakes I spied a corner of a packet......I had no idea what it was, so like a trooper I stuck my hand right to the back of that cupboard hoping it wouldn't get chewed off by a pre-pubescent tin of tuna or a Manic Depressive sprouting potato and pulled out a pack of risotto! Perfick!
Tonights dinner was Mushroom Risotto. Delicious. Easy. CHEAP and helped me use up the rest of the mushrooms in my fridge which wouldn't last many more days.

Mmmm steamy!


Oh did I forget to mention? This recipe serves four AND (wait for it....) it contains less than 300 calories per serving!!! Bonus!

Ingredients

1 large onion diced OR a bunch of spring onions chopped finely (I used spring onions as this is what I had in my fridge!
1-2 Garlic cloves crushed (I love garlic so I used two. One would be perfectly fine though)
1/4 tsp chilli flakes (or more if you want more heat)
1 large glass of white wine
250g Risotto Rice (Arborio)
2 x vegetable stock cubes dissolved in a litre of hot water
Frylight OR a tbsp of butter (I used a lower fat butter to keep calories down...ran out of frylight!!)
200g Mushrooms (or whatever you have left in your fridge!)

Method
- Melt butter in either a risotto pan or large frying pan. When it is beginning to foam add the onion, garlic and chilli flakes and cook slowly until the onions have softened.
- Add the rice and stir to ensure all the grains are coated in the onion/garlic mixture
- Pour in your glass of wine and mushrooms and stir until the wine has been absorbed.
- Pour in the stock....a ladleful at a time. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking and when the rice has absorbed the liquid add another ladleful....and so on and so forth until the rice is oozy and creamy and scrumptious!!! You may need more liquid...you may need less. Each risotto is different! Just taste it and see if it needs anymore.
- I squeezed a little bit of lemon juice on my end product as I love the sharpness of the citrus against the creaminess of the risotto.

So there it is! I hope you enjoy making it as much as I do. So yummy and SO easy!!!


2 comments:

  1. i will be trying this....i love a mushroom risoto and have made a few but have never added chilli flakes so will look forward to a new flavour !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I like adding chilli flakes, think i'll add more next time, Seren seems fine with spicy so I will add a bit more kick next time! xx

    ReplyDelete