Since its Chinese New Year (The Year of the Dragon), I thought I would do a Chinese inspired meal so I chose a Jamie Oliver recipe I usually do for Christmas leftover turkey and tweaked it to my personal tastes. If you want the original recipe this is it: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/turkey-recipes/asian-inspired-turkey-salad I love this recipe its gorgeous, however for me the onion was so overpowering it took away from the other delicate flavours in the dish. I served it with my healthier egg fried rice and both myself and my daughter wolfed it down!
Chinese Five Spice Chicken and Healthier Egg Fried Rice
(Entire Meal is less than 500 calories)
For the Chicken:
1 inch piece of Ginger peeled and grated finely
1Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
Juice of one clementine
Juice of one lime
Cooked Chicken (This serves four and I used less than 300g of chicken)Dried cranberries ( a good handful....around 50g)
Cashew nuts (natural not salted) another handful (50g)
1 Tbsp Clear Honey
2 tsps Five Spice powder (add more or less according to your tastes)
For the Rice:
Enough Rice to feed 4 people (around 200g)
Splash of olive oil (or sesame oil if you have it)
4 Spring onions, white and green parts chopped finely
1 clove of garlic crushed
1 whole egg
2 egg whites
A few tsps of Soy Sauce
(I usually chop up ham and add peas to this too but didn't have this at home!)
- Put the Rice on to boil (Brown rice takes longer than white, so around 30 minutes), then drain the rice and run under cold running water until cool in a colander and then leave to drain whilst you prep the other ingredients.
- Shred the chicken into strands and leave to one side.
- Mix together the clementine and lime juice, Soy sauce, and ginger and put to one side.
- Add the oil to a pan and cook the spring onions and garlic until softened but not browned. Mix the eggs together and add to the pan. Leave to cook for a few seconds and then start to 'scramble'. When its nearly done add the cold rice and stir to combine the eggs with it. Now heat and stir occasionally until the rice is heated through. Splash in a few tsps of soy sauce and stir again. Now take off the heat and cover with a lid to keep warm.
- Heat a frying pan on high and add the chicken, cranberries, cashews and five spice powder. Stir to combine everything and cook stirring often to heat the chicken through.
- At this point add the Tbsp of Honey and stir to combine. Cook until the chicken starts to crisp up as the sugar in the honey caramelises. Add the juice mixture and cook again on high until absorbed and crispy.
- Serve straight away on the egg fried rice, and top with shredded spring onions.
NB. You could serve the chicken with Asian pancakes (which are really easy to make!) http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12168/chinese-pancakes-for-duck or to make it healthier you could wrap the mixture up in lettuce leaves. Serving with Plum or Hoisin sauce. Both would compliment the chicken perfectly.