This is one of my fave thrifty meals and I have many variants of it, but this is the original recipe which I have cooked tonight, and both myself and my daughter have demolished it! Yums!
Pork sausages skinned (I used four...if you have more mouths to feed you can use more)
1 x apple grated
half a large onion grated
2 x slices of bread made into breadcrumbs
Paprika and seasoning
Other half of large onion finely chopped
1 x clove of garlic crushed
1 x dessert spoon of tomato puree
1 x tin toms
1 x dessert spoon black treacle
2 x tsp mustard powder or mustard (I used english mustard but dijon would be nice too)
- mix all the meatballs ingredients together and shape into balls. Pop onto oven tray and bake in an oven at 180degrees
- when you've popped meatballs into oven, put the spagetti or rice on the boil (you could have jacket potatoes or salad or whatever you wanted with this but I like it with spagetti)
- sweat off chopped onions in frying pan and when translucent add garlic. Cook for a further 2 mins
- add tomato puree and cook it for a further 2-3 mins
- add tin of tomatoes, black treacle and mustard powder and stir to combine. Simmer the sauce until the spagetti is cooked through usually 15 minutes.
- Take meatballs out of oven and add to the sauce and meatballs. Pop the spagetti sauce and meatballs into an ovenproof dish and you can either sprinkle parmesan or cheddar on top or leave as it is.
- put back into the oven for a further 10 minutes.
Serve and chow down!! Lovely on a cold winters day and cheap cheap cheap to make!!