Me

Me

Friday 23 March 2012

Sunshine, frolics and best-o the Pest-o!

Wow what a B-E-A-utiful day today!!!! 18degrees in Cardiff....a welcome relief from the cold! I love Britain when the sun comes out! It's like we've never seen it before....we emerge from our dens all bleary eyed and pale skinned, yawning as we look in the sky astonished at what's before us....What is this round yellow disc thing in the sky? Why am I blinking more? And why do I suddenly feel roasting in all my layers? Oh yes that's right its only bloody sunshine! Woop! And thus the madness ensues. We all flock to the beach with barely anything on, rubbing factor 30 into our skins (the old school among us still do the horrific baby oil/vegetable oil trick. WRONG!) ferociously and still praying for a tan!
I am afraid one of those people (not a veg oil rubber!) but rather someone who goes crazy once the sunshine comes out! I'm glad I have a daughter because if I didn't I'm not sure I could be accountable for my actions!.....I just want to frolic and play! (sounds so wrong...it basically means I want to spend the day in a beer garden in the country getting tipsy!)
As soon as I saw the weather report this morning I went straight into my bathroom, doused myself in fake tan (and my entire bathroom too.....i'm so glad I don't have a partner because if I did I could imagine them kicking off at our new 'orange' decor!! ;p), then donned a dress and some big ass sunglasses, got my daughter ready and spent a hedonistic (not really) 6 hours in the sunshine!
This is me in my dads back garden today, soaking up even more sunshine  after cycling around probably half of Cardiff and visiting a few play parks with the kiddo!


GLORIOUS! I don't know why but the sunshine absolutely knocks me out so tonight I wanted a nice simple easy dinner. I had lots of coriander in my fridge so I thought i'd knock up a nice coriander pesto as a change from the usual basil. I must admit I've never tried coriander pesto before...I was a bit dubious as Coriander is such a strong herb. But I needn't have worried. It was gorgeous. I cannot wait to make this again and use it in different recipes. SOOOOO yummy!
The actual recipe is an adaptation of a BBC food one I saw. I added a couple of ingredients and also omitted some of theirs to make it healthier and the result was an amazingly fragrant zesty beautiful sauce that I could've just eaten on its own, in fact mine and Seren's fingers kept 'accidently' dipping in the yumminess.
Anyways... enough of me salivating over it AGAIN here is the result and the recipe follows :)


Coriander Pesto Pasta served with balsamic roasted cherry tomatoes

Recipe:
2cm piece of ginger grated
1 garlic clove crushed
1 red chilli de-seeded and finely chopped (I used a few tsps of chilli flakes as had no fresh in)
20g Fresh Coriander Leaves 
Zest and juice of one lime (I used bottled lime juice...again no fresh in!)
2tbsps of Soy Sauce
1tbsp of Olive oil
1tbsp of grated parmesan
1/2tsp Caster Sugar
Cherry Tomatoes
Balsamic Glaze
Olive Oil for drizzling....oooo drizzle!

Method:
Preheat oven to 200degrees
- Place all pesto ingredients (that's everything bar the cherry toms and balsamic glaze) into a food processor and blitz up! (I have a hand held blender and that worked fine)
- Place cherry toms on a baking tray, drizzle on olive oil and balsamic glaze and pop into the oven
- Put your pasta onto boil and cook until al-dente, I used wholewheat fusilli which took about 15mins
- When the pasta is done, drain and mix up with your pesto.
- Take the toms out of the oven and serve on top. I also made up a big side salad and drizzled on even more balsamic glaze (I'm addicted to the stuff!)

And that's it... Simples and done in less than 30mins!!!! ENJOY :)


No comments:

Post a Comment