This month is proving to be exceeeeedingly tight for me! I'm afraid too much of a good time celebrating the Six Nations (Go on wales!!! Woop!) has left Thrifty's purse emptier than a bankers heart!
I have a delicious supper recipe for you today, it really was scrummy....and even better than that its healthy and good for getting veg in the kiddies (or the fellas....whoever is worse!!).
So here is the recipe. Easy, quick and yums!
Sweet potato falafels served in pitta breads with houmous and homemade coleslaw
First up the coleslaw!
1/4 white cabbage shredded finely (If you want some more colour/flavour add 1/4 red cabbage too)
1 small onion sliced finely (I use a few spring onions as prefer the flavour...tis up to your preferences!)
2 Tbsps of Mayo - (I use extra light)
2 Tbsps Natural Yogurt - (I used fat free)
2 Tbsps Red Wine Vinegar
1 tsp sugar (I use splenda to keep the cals down again)
1-2 medium carrots grated
1 tsp Mustard (Dijon or Wholegrain work particularly well)
- Add the cabbage, onion and carrots in a bowl. Then add the mustard, sugar and vinegar and stir to combine.
- Leave to marinate for a while...could be 10mins could be 30 it all depends on how quick you want dins to be ready! ;) Tis at your discretion!
- Add the mayo and natural yogurt and stir, put in fridge until ready to serve.
Sweet Potato Falafels
1-2 medium sweet potatoes (If feeding more than four people use 3 at least)
2 Garlic Cloves crushed (I didnt have any in so used a few tsps of garlic powder instead...worked fine)
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsps ground coriander
1 handful of fresh coriander chopped
Juice of 1/2 lemon, again I had no fresh lemon but used a tbsp or so of bottled lemon juice
Flour....if you need it. My mixture wasn't too wet so I didn't add it but if it you need too then add away (Gram would be ideal....wholemeal if not).
- Preheat oven to 180degrees
- Cook Sweet potatoes in microwave (i'm alllll about the easy route!) for 6 odd minutes....it all depends on size so keep checking on them.
- Once cooked leave to cool for a few mins and then peel off the skin, it comes off fairly easily no peeler needed!
- Add the potatoes to a bowl and mash, add all the other ingredients and stir to combine. At this point taste test, if you think it needs anything more then add it, also season with salt and pepper if you feel inclined.
- Shape the mixture into small balls and place on an oiled baking sheet (I only used one medium sized sweet potato and it made 10 falafels)
- Place in oven and cook for 15-20 mins until slightly golden brown all over
- You can either grill your pittas or put them in the toaster....again lazy girl option = toaster! When puffed up cut upon and smear on as much houmous as you like, then fill with salad or some of the coleslaw and top with your falafels. Serve with a big dollop of your coleslaw on the side and bobs your uncle. Healthy, nutritious and a yummy supper for the fam in less than 30mins!